Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuits

Vaginal mesh implant surgery linked to organ perforation, pain, infection and additional surgeries

Serious side effects have been linked to Urogynecologic Surgical Mesh implants used to repair Stress Urinary Incontinence (SUI) and Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) in women.

Complications include:

Infection, pelvic and vaginal pain, pain during intercourse (dyspareunia), urinary problems, neuromuscular problems, vaginal scarring or shrinkage, organ perforation
vaginal mesh erosion (also called exposure, extrusion or protrusion), and additional surgeries. Some women have experienced painful mesh erosion, in which the skin splits and the mesh protrudes. Mesh erosion often requires one or more additional surgeries to correct.

Study finds increased risk

In 2008, the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) warned doctors that transvaginal placement of surgical mesh products used to reinforce weakened tissues in women generated more than 1,000 reports of adverse events. The FDA has since issued an update to that warning; between 2008 and 2010, nearly 3000 reports were made to the FDA regarding problems with urogynecologic surgical meshes. The FDA recommends that women talk with their surgeons about potential complications.

What is Urogynecologic Surgical Mesh?

SUI and POP are commonly found in women, especially after childbirth, and are a result of a weakening of the muscles of the pelvic floor. Urogynecologic Surgical Mesh is a plastic screen implanted by a surgeon through an incision made in the vaginal wall to help support the weakened muscles.

How do I know if I have been implanted with Urogynecologic Surgical Mesh?

Urogynecologic Surgical Mesh was first used to treat SUI in 1996, and then to treat POP in 2002. If you have had surgery to correct SUI or POP (which includes cystocele, procidentia, rectocele, apical prolapse, or enterocele) after these dates, contact your doctor, who will have records that indicate whether mesh was used.
If you are having symptoms or complications such as unusual bleeding, pain, or discharge you should consult your doctor as soon as possible.

How do I know if I have a claim?

We cannot answer that question without speaking to you personally. No two people are the same. Your injury might be different from that of another individual.